Franchised businesses account for more than 50% of all retail sales in the United States.· The International Franchise Association has reported that franchising is responsible for 900,000 businesses, 20 million jobs, 16 percent of the private sector employment, and over $600 Billion in payroll!
· According to latest estimates, there are over 4,000 franchises available in 60 different industry categories.
An annual study by The United States Chamber of Commerce found that 86% of franchises opened within the last five years were still under the same ownership and 97% of the were still open for business.
· A U.S. Department of Commerce study shows that less than 5% of franchise businesses were closed each year.
· A U.S. Small Business Administration study conducted from 1978 to 2011 found that 62% of non-franchised businesses closed within the first 6 years of their existence due to failure, bankruptcy, etc.
· Total sales by franchised businesses are projected to reach over $2.5 Trillion, by 2012.
· 1 out of every 10 businesses is a franchised business.
· In 2011, the median gross annual income, before taxes, of franchisees was in the $102,000 to $105,000 range, with over 30% of franchisees earning over $200,000 per year.